Oct. 27, 2021

Civil Division

General Information
When filing papers with the court, please observe the following guidelines:

  1. • Pleadings must comply with California Rules of Court, Rule 2.100 TO 2.119. Exhibits must be legible.
  2. • Conformed copies of documents will not be returned unless a self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage is  provided.
  3. • All papers must be pre-punched in the standard two-hole position.
  4. • The original document must be submitted and will be retained by the court after filing. The court will conform up to 2 copies.
  5. • Calendar dates for all Unlimited and Limited Civil Motions except Ex Parte Motions must be reserved in advance by calling Civil Legal Process.
  6. • If the correct filing fee does not accompany the document to be filed, the document will be returned unfiled. 

Statewide Uniform Civil Fee Schedule Adopted January 1, 2012
Fee Waiver: Litigants meeting statutory income limitations may be eligible for a waiver of court fees and costs. A Request to Waive Court Fees must be filed with the first documents the litigant presents for filing in a case. The Request is reviewed by a judge and a determination made as to whether the litigant is eligible for the waiver. A clerk may also grant a fee waiver based on certain information.
Judicial Council Forms: http://www.courts.ca.gov/
Most civil court files are public records and may be viewed and copied by anyone. To obtain a copy of a file or a document in a file, a person may:

  1. 1. Appear in person at the Civil Legal Process filing counter and make your request. Prior to appearing, it is suggested that the Civil Division be called to determine if the file is available. Not all files are retained on-site, and it may take up to two weeks to get the files delivered to the courthouse.
  2. 2. Hire a private agency to assist you.
  3. 3. Write a letter to the court including the required fees for copying and research, the case number if known, the names of the parties, the name of the document if copies of a specific document are being requested and as much other information as can be provided. You may send a check made out to Yolo Superior Court, bearing the words "not to exceed (amount) dollars" in the memo section of the check. A receipt will be returned with your copies. Also, a self-addressed stamped envelope must be included for mailing the copies to the person requesting them. See the Uniform Fee Schedule for amount of fees.

Case information is available here. Information about a pending or recently concluded civil case, except small claims or unlawful detainer cases, may be obtained by calling the Civil Division at (530) 406-6704 or by appearing in person at the Civil Legal Process Counter. Civil staff can assist in answering questions about the status of documents and upcoming scheduled hearings and events. Civil Staff may not give legal advice or tell anyone how to proceed in a case (see Government Code section 68082)


What is a civil complaint?
A civil complaint commences a civil action.
What is a cross-complaint?
A cross-complaint is a counter suit naming the Plaintiff and/or another party or parties.
What is a summons?
A summons is a notice to a defendant that an action against him/her was filed in the court issuing the summons and notifying the defendant that a Judgment may be taken against him/her if the defendant does not answer the complaint within a certain time.
What is a Demurrer?
A Demurrer is a pleading that objects to possible legal defects in the specified document objected to.
What is a Proof of Service?
A proof of service is a written statement signed by the server that the other party or parties received a copy of the documents filed.
What is an Entry of Default?
This records the fact that the defendant defaulted by not answering within the prescribed period of time.
What is a dismissal without prejudice?
If a case is dismissed without prejudice the litigant can sue again on the same cause of action.
What is a Judgment?
A Judgment is the final determination and outcome of a civil suit.
What is a Civil Harassment Restraining Order?
A Civil Harassment Restraining Order is an order to protect you from a person harassing you who is not a close family member and does not reside with you.
What is an Elder Abuse Restraining Order?
An Elder Abuse Restraining Order is an order to protect you (if you are 65 years of age or older or you are a dependent adult) from being physically, financially, mentally or emotionally abused, neglected, abandoned or abducted.
What is a Workplace Violence Restraining Order?
A Workplace Violence Restraining Order is an order to protect you, as an employee, from suffering unlawful violence or credible threats of violence. Only an employer can request a workplace violence protection order for an employee.
What is a CMC?
CMC is short for Case Management Conference which is an overview to address all the issues of the case.
What is a Settlement Conference?
A Settlement Conference is a meeting between opposing sides to attempt to reach a mutually agreed upon resolution or settlement in the case.
What is Arbitration?
Arbitration is an attempt to resolve the difference in the case and reach an agreement through a third party other than the judge.
What is a TSC?
A TSC is short for Trial Setting Conference where the Court will set a date for trial.
What is a TRC?
A TRC is short for Trial Readiness Conference where the Court will meet with the parties to an action to make sure the parties are ready to go to trial.
What is a Trial?
ATrial is when a case is presented to a judge or jury to decide the verdict in favor of a party.
To find out about a Tentative Ruling go to the tab labeled Calendars, click on Tentative Rulings and follow the directions.
Click here
A Jury Trial is where a case is heard by a jury which usually consists of 12 people.
A Court Trial is where the case is heard and decided by a judge.
How can I find out about a Tentative Ruling?
You can obtain the tentative rulings by telephone by calling (530) 406-6806, or visit http://www.yolo.courts.ca.gov/online-services/tentative-rulings
To find out about a Tentative Ruling go to the tab labeled Calendars, click on Tentative Rulings and follow the directions.
Click here
A Jury Trial is where a case is heard by a jury which usually consists of 12 people.

Location and Hours

Main Courthouse
1000 Main St,
Woodland, CA 95695

Phone: (530) 406-6704
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

© 2021 Superior Court of California - County of Yolo
Contact | Disclaimer |