Post Trial Procedures

If the decision is in favor of the landlord, a formal judgment and notice of entry of judgment will be entered once submitted by the landlord.  The landlord will then request that a Writ of Possession be issued. The landlord must take the writ to the Sheriff's Department.  In most instances, a deputy will give the tenants notice that they have five days to vacate the premises.  If the tenants do not move out in the five day period, the Sheriff will remove the tenants from the property and restore possession to the landlord.


Under limited circumstances, the tenant may be able to get extra time to move by either speaking with the landlord or by applying for a stay order from the court.  Legal counsel should be consulted if additional time is needed, and the landlord is unwilling to give that time.